Applies to Version(s): 3.9.0 or Current
Complexity Level: Easy
Estimated Time for Completion: 7 minutes
In this article, you will learn
You can enable the Gift Certificate module so that your customers can purchase Gift Certificates as gifts or use them to purchase products. In the 3.8 series, a feature was added which allows you to generate Gift Certificates from the admin area.
How to Enable the Gift Certificate Module
- From your control panel, go to Settings > Payment & Taxes >> Gift Certificates.
- Click Enable Gift Certificates. This will enable the ability for users to purchase and use gift certificates on your website.
Adding Gift Certificates
To add a gift certificate, click the ‘Add Gift Certificate’ button and fill out the following fields:
- First Name – First name for the customer getting the certificate
- Last Name – Last name for the customer getting the certificate
- Email – Email address of the customer getting the certificate
- Amount – Specify a numerical value.
- Voucher Number – Auto-generated for you by default, but you can change it if you like
- Notify Customer – choose whether or not to send an email to the person getting the certificate
- Message – a Custom message that gets sent out if you choose to send a notification out to the customer of the certificate.
Then hit Save to apply changes made.
How Customers Purchase Gift Certificates
After you enable Gift Certificates in the back-end, a new category named Gift Certificates will appear on the front of your site. It appears in the category section, but it doesn't function like a category.
A customer will click on this Gift Certificates category > Fill out the form and checkout to purchase the Gift Cert. They can choose to email it to someone as a gift.
How Customers Use Gift Certificates
After the Gift Certificate is purchased, and you mark the order Completed, the recipient will receive an email containing a Voucher Code. This is the code they need to use the Gift Cert on your site.
After they add their items and proceed through checkout to the final checkout page, they will be presented with an option to pay with the Gift Certificate. They will need to enter the First and Last Name exactly how the purchaser of the Gift Cert entered it, along with the Voucher Code they received.
Note: If they don't use the full amount of the Gift Cert, they will have a balance left over. If they still have a balance for the order, they will be able to complete the purchase with another payment method.