Complexity Level: Easy
In this article you will learn
What is an htaccess file
The .htaccess file is a web server configuration file. It lives on the web server machine and can be used for quite a few different things, including your store URLs. Pinnacle Cart occasionally needs to write to your .htaccess file. Historically, however, people would also manually edit the .htaccess file, and that is where the trouble started. Sometimes, the Pinnacle Cart software would over-write a change that you had manually made to the file. Sometimes people would edit or delete changes that the Pinnacle Cart software had made, and in either case, your store would not behave as expected.
To make life a little easier, Pinnacle Cart added the .htaccess overrides area in the cart admin area. This section is basically an interface to your store's .htaccess file for managing how URLs behave.
How to manage your carts' urls
- Enable search engine friendly URLs – This setting allows you to have cleaner urls like /productname.html instead of /index.php?p=product&pid=23 . It is highly recommended you keep this on.
- Use lowercase letters in URLs – This setting forces all url to be lowercase in the event you have pages with capitol letters in the names
- Enable meta title and description auto generation – Automatically generates meta information based on the content of the page.
- URL preference - Force either the www or non-www version of the site to display in visitor's browser. No immediate effect: save and click the button "Generate .htaccess" at the top to apply changes'
- Category URL Template - %CategoryKey%, %CategoryName%, %CategoryDbId%, %CategoryPath% - at least one variable required
- Category Pagination - %PageNumber% - required Template Variables:
- Will be added before extension (if exists) or closing slash symbol. Resulting URL will look like:
Manufacturer URL Template - Template Variables:
%ManufacturerKey%, %ManufacturerName%, %ManufacturerDbId% - at least one variable required
- Manufacturer Pagination - %PageNumber% - required Template Variables: Will be added before extension (if exists) or closing slash symbol. Resulting URL will look like:
- Product URL Template - Template variables: %CategoryKey%, %CategoryName%, %CategoryDbId%, %CategoryPath%, %CategoryURL%<br>%ProductId%, %ProductName%, %ProductDbId% - at least one of product variables is required
- Page URL Template - Template variables: %PageName%, %PageTitle%
Order Form URL Template - Template Variables: %OrderFormName%, %OrderFormDbId% - at least one variable required
- .htaccess Overrides - This is where you can do things like 301 redirects (see kb article on this here).
- robots.txt - This is where you can generate code to block or throttle those search bots. You can use a site such as here.
Links to Related Articles.
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support