This article will show you how to take your Google Analytics account and add it to Google Tag Manager. This article assumes you already have a Google Analytics account. If you do not, here's an article that explains how to get started. Also, you will need to initially set up Google Tag Manager, which you can find a walkthrough at How to Setup Google Tag Manager. Once done setting it up, you can proceed to How to Get Google Tag Manager working with PinnacleCart, which will show the important step of hooking GTM and Pinnacle Cart together.
Applies to Version(s): 3.9.x Series
Complexity Level: Advanced
Estimated Time for Completion: 20 minutes
Note: If you already have Google Analytics enabled within PinnacleCart, you can disable it and use GTM from now on.
1. Go to Tags, then select New.
2. Select Tag Configuration > Google Analytics: Universal Analytics.
3. In Tag Configuration, fill up respective fields
- Track Type - Select your desired Track Type.
- Google Analytics Settings - To reuse a Google Analytics Settings Variable that has already been set up, select the desired variable from the menu. Your Google Analytics ID and all other settings from that variable will be applied to your tag. To set up a new Google Analytics Settings Variable:
- Select New Variable…
- In the Variable Configuration screen, enter your Google Analytics ID.
- Cookie Domain: If you have no other Google Analytics tags deployed on your site via analytics.js or from Tag Manager, you should leave this value set to auto. If you have other Google Analytics tags set up on your site or in Tag Manager, you should confirm that the Cookie Domain value is consistent.
- If you require additional settings such as setting custom fields, custom dimensions, custom metrics, content groups, display advertising features, Enhanced Ecommerce features, or cross-domain measurement, click More Settings and configure the relevant fields.
4. Click Save.
- When you click Save, you will be prompted to rename the variable, if you have not done it yet. You may opt to accept the default setting or enter a name of your own. Click Save to complete the tag setup.
- For Firing Options, we recommend that you select Unlimited.
- To choose a trigger that will make the tag fire. You may select an existing trigger, or click the + icon to define a new one.
Links to Related Articles
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support.