This guide will provide you with how to Upgrade your cart from 3.8.7 R3 to 3.9.0 R2. This outlines the steps and procedures needed to ensure this is done correctly and smoothly.
Applies to Version(s): 3.8.7 R3 only
In this article, you will learn:
Why should I upgrade to the latest version?
Note: Before moving forward in this article, you will want to check with our Support team to make sure you're on a server that works with PHP 7.2.x that is required for this version.
Keeping with the most updated software ensures you're not having issues with Payment Gateways, Shipping Options and you're receiving the best possible experience possible when using PinnacleCart.
Another big change going to the 3.9 version of the cart is that we have added all new themes that are only compatible with 3.9.x. You can take a look at all the Themes and see what best fits you. If you don't like what the cart has to offer for Themes and would like something different, check out How PinnacleCart can meet the needs of your Business.
What are my options?
Note: Please review these options carefully. In order to upgrade to Version 3.8.7 R3 you will need to be on PHP 7.2.x. If you're not hosted with us, you will need to check with whomever you're host is. For hosted customers, you can call Support or submit a Ticket.
As a customer, you have a few options for this. I'll detail those out here for you to give you an opportunity to see what we can do to help.
Self-Upgrade: This will be an upgrade that you will do yourself, the information on how to do this will be provided in this article and the package to download will be provided for you as well. The suggestions for this method would be:
Upgrade by PinnacleCart: Put in a support ticket requesting this. (Please note, if you are a licensed customer please provide FTP access and your hosting panels access in this ticket.)
How to get started
Note: Making backups before making changes to your cart is always advise, please review how to create a backup article, this may look different than your current cart but the principle is still the same.
You will first want to make sure you're on 3.8.7 R3. To see that you are, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Billing.
How to Upgrade from 3.8.7 R3 to 3.9.0 R2
1. Make sure the existing cart has been updated to 3.8.7 R3 using PHP 7.2.x.
2. Download the 3.9.0 R2 package from the account area if you are not hosted with us. You can get instructions on how to access the account area from here. <If you are hosted with us please put in a support ticket requesting we do this upgrade for you>.
3. Download to your local PC. Once the download has finished, unzip the package
4. Open up your FTP client and login to FTP for the server (Learn how to FTP here.)
5. Delete All files on the 3.8.7-R3 Cart (on the server) to be upgraded EXCEPT:
6. Upload all files from the local PC (3.9.0 R2 cart package) except for /content/engine/engine_config.php.
7. Make sure your host has updated your PHP version to PHP 7.2.x otherwise things will fail to load. (please note, until the update is done your live site will be down)
8. Using your ftp create the /content/cache/smarty/skins (folder) if the folder does not already exist.
9. After the file uploads have completed, navigate to http://yourdomainname.com/update.php to run the database update script. This will now update your cart to the latest version. Once finished you can log in and see if there are any further update links at the top of the admin area home page. If it's there, you will want to run each of them until the links no longer appear.
10. Now once this is done, then you log into the carts admin area and go to Marketing -> SEO Settings and click on the generate htaccess button in the upper right-hand side of the page.
Finalizing the steps after upgrading
Note: It's always important that after doing an upgrade on your cart to make sure everything is working. This includes going through checkout as a customer on the front end as well. If you have any issues, please reach out to support.
Now that you have upgraded your cart, you will want to go into the Front-end area on the left-hand side and choose a new Theme. As all themes from previous cart versions are NOT compatible with the 3.9. carts template systems so you will need to do your design over using the new templates and new front-end design system.
Links to Related Articles
None at this time.
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support.