This guide will provide you with how to Upgrade your cart from 3.8.7 R2 to 3.8.7 R3. This outlines the steps and procedures needed to ensure this is done correctly and smoothly.
Applies to Version(s): 3.8.7 R2 only
In this article, you will learn:
Why should I upgrade to the latest version?
Note: Before moving forward in this article, you will want to check with our Support team to make sure you're on a server that works with PHP 7.2.x that is required for this version.
Keeping with the most updated software ensures you're not having issues with Payment Gateways, Shipping Options and you're receiving the best possible experience possible when using PinnacleCart.
What are my options?
Note: Please review these options carefully. In order to upgrade to Version 3.8.7 R3, you will need to be on PHP 7.2.x. If you're not hosted with us you will need to check with whomever you're host is. For hosted customers, you can call Support or submit a Ticket.
As a customer, you have a few options for this. I'll detail those out to give you an opportunity to see what we can do to help.
Self-Upgrade: This will be an upgrade that you will do yourself. The information on how to do this will be provided in this article and the package to download will be provided for you as well. The suggestions for this method would be:
Upgrade by PinnacleCart: Put in a support ticket requesting this. (Please note, if you are a licesend customer please provide ftp access and your hosting panels access in this ticket)
How to get started
Note: Making backups before making changes to your cart is always advisable. Please review how to create a backup article. This may look different than your current cart but the principle is still the same.
You will first want to make sure you're on 3.8.7 r2. To see that you are, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Billing.
Go to My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area then select Cart Information on the left.
When updates are available, you will see this once you log in to the Admin:
Note: Click the UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE link to upgrade to the next version of 3.8.
In the above example, it shows that my cart is on 3.8.7 R1 and the link is providing the option to update. You will want to follow the instructions closely here. If you have created a backup correctly and run into issues, this will allow you to restore quickly and efficiently then the Support Team can see what went wrong and provide assistance.
Once you have Finished upgrading to 3.8.7 R2 you can move on to the next step. Make sure everything is in working order before doing so. Check the Admin by clicking around to different areas to make sure there are no errors. Move to the front end of your site and act as a customer and go through checkout to make sure there are no issues there as well.
How to Upgrade from 3.78.7 R2 to 3.8.7 R3
1. Make sure the existing cart has been updated to 3.8.7 R2 using php 5.4 or 5.6.
2. Download the upgrade package here.
3. Download to your local PC. Once the download has finished, unzip the package
4. Open up your FTP client and locate the folder on your computer. Login to FTP for the server and upload them to the root directory of your store. (Learn how to FTP here.)
5. Upload all files from the base 3.8.7 R3 cart package except for /content/cache/*. /content/skins/* /content/languages/* and /content/engine/engine_config.php (you can download this package from your iono account. You can get instructions of how to access iono from here.
6. Make sure your host has updated your php version to php 7.2.x otherwise things will fail to load. (please note, until the update is done your live site will be down due to the new version of php)
7. After the file uploads have completed, navigate to http://yourdomainname.com/update.php to run the database update script. This will now update your cart to the latest version.86. Once finished you can login and see if there are any further update links at the top of the admin area home page. If there, you will want to run each of them until the links no longer appear.
8. Using your ftp delete the /content/cache/smarty/skins/_admin (folder) and the /content/cache/languages/admin_english.php (file)
Finalizing the steps after upgrading
Note: It's always important that after doing an Upgrade on your Cart, make sure everything is working. This includes going through checkout as a customer on the front end as well. If you have any issues, please reach out to support.
Links to Related Articles
None at this time.
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support.