Applies to Version(s): 3.9.x Series
Complexity Level: Easy
Estimated Time for Completion: 8 minutes
To set up an Authorize.Net account for your business:
- Go to authorize.net.
- Pick which plan suits your needs then click the SIGN UP NOW button.
- Fill out the form.
After filling out all the fields, you should receive an email that contains an activation link. Authorize.Net has a video that explains the next phase of activation.
Now, you must obtain your API Login and Key. Follow these steps:
- Login to your Authorize.net account.
- Click Account.
- Click API Login ID and Transaction Key under Security Settings.
- Under Create New Transaction Key, enter your Secret Answer.
Note: When obtaining a new Transaction Key, you may choose to disable the old Transaction Key by clicking the box titled Disable Old Transaction Key(s). You may want to do this if you suspect your previous Transaction Key is being used fraudulently.
- Click Submit.
Once you've completed the signup with Authorize.Net and have obtained the API Login ID and Transaction Key, you are ready to setup this gateway within your cart.
Follow these steps:
- Click Settings > Payments & Taxes > Payment Methods.
- In the Third-Party Payment Providers, select Authorize.Net from the dropdown menu.
- Then click Setup.
More than likely, you will be setting up Authorize.Net AIM 3.1. Follow the steps above and continue here:
1. In the Payment drop-down, select Authorize.Net AIM 3.1 > fill in your API Login ID and Transaction Key > click Activate.
2. Now, click Edit to the right of Authorize.net AIM 3.1 > Click Advanced Settings > Then, set the following:
- Test Request - This puts Authorize.Net into test mode, meaning no real money is changing hands. It allows you to test to make sure your account is active and working.
- Auth Type
Auth-capture - will authorize the Credit Card of your customer and if it's good, it will capture the funds.
Auth-only - will only authorize the Credit Card. The funds would need to be captured later on the order. Consumers who choose this authentication option don't get charged until their order is shipped.
- Enable Cardinal Centinel - If you use Cardinal Commerce, you can enable it here.
- Duplicate Window - If a transaction is submitted within the specified time and uses the same Credit Card, it will be considered a duplicate transaction and will not be processed.
3. Scroll down to Presentation Settings. Set the following:
- Payment Method Title - This is set to 'Auth.net 3.1' by default. This is what your customers will see when making a payment. You might want to change it to 'Credit Card Payment' or something similar to avoid confusion.
- Priority - If more than one Payment Gateway is set up within your cart, priority determines how they are sorted.
4. Scroll down to Other Settings. The URL to Gateway should not be changed if you are using Authorize.Net as your Gateway. However, some merchants run their gateway through another provider, but use Authorize.Net as an emulator of sorts. If you're doing so, you can enter your actual gateway URL here.
5. Expand Supported Card Types. This is where you can add additional cards that you accept, or disable ones you don't. For example, if you don't accept American Express, you can disable it here.
Authorize.Net AIM 3.0 is hardly used anymore but for those who have been with Authorize.Net for a while still use it. To set it up, follow the steps to get to Payments, and in the Payment drop-down, select Authorize.Net AIM 3.0. Fill out the Login > in Authentication Method, choose whether you authenticate with a Password or Transaction Key > enter the Password or Transaction Key into the Password field.
If you edit Auth.Net 3.0, you will have the same Settings options as you have with Authorize.Net AIM 3.1 above.
Authorize.Net CIM is the method you need to set up if you plan to offer Recurring Billing. CIM, Authorize.Net CP 1.0, and Authorize.Net eCheck.Net are all set up the same exact way as Authorize.Net AIM 3.1. Following the instructions above will allow you to set these up.
Links to Related Articles
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support.