Applies to Version(s): 3.9.0 or Current
Complexity Level: Easy
Estimated Time for Completion: 8 minutes
Categories will help organize your products into different sections. The first category you add can be added with your first product. All additional categories must be added through the Category page. You can add each one at a time or bulk upload them in.
Adding the Category
Follow these steps on how to add categories in your cart.
- In your control panel, go to Products & Categories > Add a New Category.
- Fill out the required fields.
- Click Save to apply changes.
Your Category must have a Title and Category ID. The Category ID is the unique identifier of the category.
Before choosing a Parent Category it’s important to understand the concept. A top level category is an all-encompassing type of category. You would assign these type of categories to Top Level. An example of this would be Clothes.
A Child Category would be nested within the Parent Category. In most themes, these would appear in a drop-down menu under the Parent Category. An example of this would Mens Shirts. You would assign these to another category in the Parent Category section. You can have unlimited child categories.
- Order of appearance - will sort or list your categories based off the number chosen. 1 would be at the top or far left of the list, and numbers higher would appear below or to the right.
- Visible? - determines if the category is available for viewing on the front of site. You may decide to disable a category during certain times. An example of this would be seasonal categories such as Halloween.
- Stealth Category - these are not visible in navigation or site searches when customers use your site, but are accessible via direct URL
- Show sub-categories on category page - Show any children/Sub Categories on the main/parent category page
- Show sub-categories images on category page - Show the children/Sub Categories images on the main/parent category page
- Description - You can use the WYSIWYG Editor to add a Description to the category. The description will appear towards the top of the page on your storefront.
To add an image to your category, select Browse under Upload category image. This will allow you to select an image from your hard drive.
Search Engine Optimization
Here you can set the Meta Title and Meta Description for your category. This is for SEO purposes and will be how the category is displayed in a search result. You can also edit the Category URL to customize it. By default, the URL that is generate will suffice. It's a flat, clean URL which is very SEO friendly. However, you may need to customize it to match the URL you had with a previous provider. This is for advanced SEO and should only be changed by advanced users.