Adding products is one of the first steps you have to take to make your site look more like an eCommerce store. If this is your first time having an online store this article will give you a basic overview of how to add products.
Applies to Version(s): 3.9.x Series
Complexity Level: Easy
Estimated Time for Completion: 7 minutes
In this article, you will learn:
- Basic Properties
- Pricing & Taxation
- Availability & Visibility Options
- Shipping, Weight & Dimensions
- Secondary Categories
- Overview & Description
- Product Images
To add products, log in to your control panel. Go to Products & Categories then click on Add a new product.
Product Name, Product ID, Primary Category, and Product Type are required fields.
Product Name - The specified name of the product/item you wish to post on your store.
Product ID - The unique identifier of your product. This is typically a shortened-lowercase version of your product name, with underscores ( _ ) instead of spaces.
Primary Category - Select which category the product you wish to post will be posted.
Product Type - Set what type of product you're selling.
- Tangible is a physical product.
- Virtual is a subscription-based product such as monthly software payments.
- Digital is a downloadable product such as a .mp3, .pdf, or software.
Pricing & Taxation
With Taxable Product enabled, you will be able to assign a tax class if normal cart taxes are enabled. If Avalara or Exactor are enabled, you will see options to use their settings. See How to Enable Taxes, Avalara Tax, and Exactor Tax.
- Price per item - is the price of the item.
- Sale Price - is the price of the product on sale.
- Call for price - the option to hide pricing from your customers for this product.
- Taxable product - set if you want this product to be taxable or not.
- Select Tax class - is where you select the tax class when you setup taxes.
- Avalara tax code - is where you select the tax code for this product if you have the Avalara app-enabled.
Availability & Visibility Options
- Available on a store front - determines if the product is available for purchase by your customers. Disabling this option makes the product unsearchable via the front end of the website.
- Show product on home page - determines if the product is available for purchase by your customers. Disabling this option makes the product unsearchable via the front end of the website.
- Stealth Product - these products are not visible in navigation or site searches when customers use your site, but are accessible via direct URL
- Mark Product as a "Hot Deal" - this option allows a product to be featured as on-demand in your store.
- Order of Appearance - sorts out the products on category pages. This depends if you have a List Products By set to Best Match (Priority) on Catalog Settings.
- Minimum / Maximum Quantity in Order - used to limit the amount of item that can be purchased on one order, or require a minimum amount.
- Inventory Tracking Options - allows you to track your inventory.
Shipping, Weight & Dimensions
- Item Weight - is used for real-time shipping. This is a requirement to initiate real-time shipping.
- Item Width/Length/Height - has no effect on shipping at this time, although this may change in a future update. For now, you can use it for keeping data.
- Free Shipping for this product - will override all other shipping options in the cart and force free shipping on the item.
Secondary Categories are used to assign your product to other categories on the site. For example, a pair of shoes may be assigned to Shoes as the Primary Category and Clothes as a Secondary Category.
Overview & Description
- Overview is a brief description that will show on the product page and category page.
- Description is the product description which will show on the product page.
Click the grey box with the plus symbol in the middle to add an Image. This will browse your computer where you can locate the image. The first image selected will be the primary image. All images selected afterward will be secondary images. If the first image is deleted, the next image in line will become the primary image.
- Manufacturer Product number - it is a unique number that is issued by manufacturers to identify individual products.
- Barcode (UPC, GTIN, ISBN) - these are the strips of lines with a series of numbers found at the back of the packaging of a product.
- SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) - is a product code that you can use to search and identify stock on hand from lists, invoices and order forms.
- YouTube Link (eg., https://www.youtube.com/embed/9CWaZAZWdUS) is the place you put the embed link for any Youtube video you may want to upload to show the product.
Note: After you've saved a product, you can click on it from the Product Page list to edit it. You will then be presented with additional options such as Attributes & Variants, Features, Product Promotions, Quantity Discounts.
Links to Related Articles
None at this time.
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support.