By placing a test order, you can make sure that your checkout process and settings for order processing, inventory, shipping, and taxes are all correct.
You won't be charged for a test order. Any order that has been canceled and refunded is not paid out or subject to transaction fees. You should place at least one test order during your store setup, or whenever you make changes to your payment settings.
There are two ways to place a test order:
- Use The Custom Payment Gateway option to simulate a transaction
- Use a real payment provider, and then immediately cancel and refund the order.
Applies to Version(s): 3.9.0 - CurrentComplexity Level: Easy
In this article, you will learn:
How to Set up a Custom Payment Method to Be Used for Purchase Orders
Note: Pro tip: Some merchants prefer to have their users type in a Purchase order number or invoice number. This can be added to the cart using the "custom fields" feature which is explained here.
1. In the cart admin, click the Settings > Payment & taxes > Payment methods.
2. Under Third-Party Payment Providers, select Custom Payment option from the drop-down.
3. Click the Setup button.
4. In the title, type in the name you want people to see when they chose this new option. For purchase orders, we suggest just using TEST Order (Offline Payment), but you can use whatever you’d like.
*Note: You have the option to type in some instructions. The content you type into the Checkout Page Instructions box will show on the cart’s checkout page, next to the Place Order button.
For purchase orders, you may want to use this section to put in some instructions that explain how to send in payment for orders or maybe some messaging about any net terms you would like them to agree to.
The content you type into the Thank You Page Instructions will show on the cart’s Thank you aka Completed page, which is the confirmation page that shows up after the user finishes the checkout process and clicks the Place Order button.
5. After filling out the fields, click the Activate button. You should now see your new payment method on the list.
Now that your new Test Order payment method is enabled, go test it out by going into your storefront, adding items to your cart, and proceeding to checkout. You should see your new Test Order payment methods as one of the payment options as seen in the sample below:
Place a Test Order with a Real Transaction
To use a real payment provider to place a test order:
- Make sure that you've set up the payment provider that you want to test.
- Make a purchase from your store as a customer would, and complete checkout using genuine credit card details.
- If you're using a third-party payment provider, then log in to your payment provider to make sure that the funds were processed.
- Cancel and refund the order as soon as possible to refund yourself and avoid paying any transaction fees.
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support.