When you do an export of your products or customers from your cart it is usually in CSV file format. And the most popular spreadsheet program that can open this file is Microsoft's Excel. This article will demonstrate on how to open a CSV file using Excel the right way.
Complexity Level: Easy
How To Open CSV File In Excel
If you created a CSV file in another program, you can still open it as an Excel workbook in the usual way by using the Open command.
Note: Opening the CSV file in Excel does not change the file format. In other words, this won't convert your CSV file to Excel's .xls or .xlsx , the file will retain the original .csv (or .txt) extension.
- With your Microsoft Excel open, head over to the File tab and click Open.
- The Open dialog box appears and you select Text Files (*.prn,*.txt,*.csv) from the drop-down list in the lower right-hand corner.
- Browse for the CSV file and open it as usual by double-click.
If you are opening a .csv file, Excel will open it straight away and display the data in a new workbook.
If you have selected a text file (.txt), Excel will start the Import Text Wizard.
Note: When Microsoft Excel opens a .csv file, it uses your default data format settings to understand how exactly to import each column of the text data. If your data contains one of the below characters or entries, then use the Import Text Wizard instead:
- different delimiters are used in your csv file;
- the csv file contains different date formats;
- you convert numbers with leading zeroes and want to preserve leading zeroes in an Excel sheet;
- you want to see a preview of how your CSV data will be imported into Excel;
- you are looking for more flexibility in general.
To get Excel to launch the Import Text Wizard, you can either change the file extension from .csv to .txt before opening the file.
Links to Related Articles.
None at this time.
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support