You can use a .csv file to upload thousands of products at once. CSV (comma-separated values) is a simple file format used to store tabular data, such as spreadsheets or databases. Files in the CSV format can be imported and exported from programs that store data in tables, such as Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc.
This article will guide you through the steps of bulk importing products so that you can save time.
Applies to Version(s): 3.9.x Series
You will need a .csv file for importing your products in bulk. You can export your existing products into a .csv to use as a template or you can download the blank template found at the bottom of this article.
To upload the .csv, follow these steps:
1. Log-in to your admin panel and navigate to Products & Categories > Browse products.
2. Click the Import button.
3. Step 1 of 3: Select the options that apply.
- Select Default Category: Sets a category for the products you’re importing only if your .csv doesn't have existing categories to the products.
- Delimiter Used to Separate Data: Sets the type of .csv you’re importing. By default, this is Comma separated.
- How to Handle Existing Products: This has two options:
1. Update existing products on storefront and add new products from uploaded file will update products, add products or both, depending on what your .csv contains.
2. Remove existing products and add new products from uploaded file will wipe all of the current products on your store and add only the ones contained within your .csv.
- Product Availability on Import: Set whether the products contained within your .csv will be available for sale or not on your website.
- Attributes Import Limit: Set the number of attributes you import to your website.
- Images Import Limit: Set the number of images you import to your website.
- Enable to check invalid html tags: If enabled, the file content will be checked if there are invalid html tags that can cause security warnings and data malformed.
- Click Choose File to find and select the .csv from your hard drive. If you downloaded the template above, the file can be located in your Downloads folder.
- Click Continue at the top.
4. Step 2 of 3 of the bulk loader is basically a mapping page. Make sure that the drop-down menus on the left match the data on the right. If they don’t, then click the drop-down menu to find the data which best matches your row. Also, only do this if the drop-down menu says skip.
5. Deselect Skip first line if your .csv doesn’t contain a header row.
6. Click Continue when you’re satisfied.
7. Step 3 of 3 is the confirmation page. It will display if it was successful and the number of new and/or updated products. Click Cancel to return to your product list or Return to Import Tool to import more products.
Links to Related Articles
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the PinnacleCart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support.