This guide will provide you with how to Upgrade your cart from 3.7.15r2 to the latest version. This will outline steps and procedures needed to ensure this is done correctly and smoothly.
Applies to Version(s): 3.7.15r2 - 3.8.2r3 (or Current)
Why should I upgrade to the latest version?
Keeping with the most updated software ensures you're not having issues with Payment Gateways, Shipping Options and you're receiving the best possible experience possible when using PinnacleCart.
If you're unsure what you will be getting when you upgrade you can create a free trial just using your Email Address and checkout the features and how simple the new GUI is.
You can also view the changes from 3.7.15r2 to 3.8. Here is also a list of changes with each upgrade from the 3.8.0 r1:
Another big change going to the 3.8 version of the cart is that we have removed the Mobile Template and gave the cart a Responsive Theme now. The Responsive Theme lets your customer experience your shopping cart on a PC, Tablet or Mobile without changing the shopping experience. You site will fit to screen in each of those versions.
We've added new Themes to the mix, removed some of the older ones and spiced up the selection with newer ones. You can take a look at all the Themes and see what best fits you. If you don't like what the cart has to offer for Themes and would like something different, check out How PinnacleCart can meet the needs of your Business.
Recurring Billing is built into the cart from the start, easy to setup and use if you have any kind of products that require a subscription or payment plan.
What are my options?
As a customer you have a few options for this. I'll detail those out here for you to give you an opportunity to see what we can do to help.
Self-Upgrade: This will be an upgrade that you will do yourself, the information on how to do this will be provided in this article and the package to download will be provided for you as well. The suggestions for this method would be:
- Create a cart2: Create a /cart2 directory on the server, copy over all files from your live site into that directory. Create a Cart2 Database, this is making a copy of your live Database that will allow you have all your products and customers as well as orders in your Cart2. You can then upgrade this cart, and do the design work that will be needed before pushing to your live site.
- Pushing Site live: This will require upgrading your live site to match the current version of your Cart2
- Upgrade Live Site: The other option with Self-Upgrade is to directly upgrade your live site, we recommend the Cart2 option just in case anything goes wrong with the upgrade. You will be responsible for any issues that happen here, so creating backups is a must. If you're a hosted customer we can try and do a restore from the Server Backups to assist in this.
- Customization: If you have any modifications, Custom PHP, addons, Sliders, these will be lost during the upgrade and will need to be re-installed. This also goes for any SEO work done directly to any of the files.
Upgrade by PinnacleCart: The cost of this is $423. We can upgrade your site directly or create a /cart2 directory to install this on and allow you to work on. When you're finished with your Cart2 Design, we will push your Cart2 live which is included in the above price.
How to get started
You will first want to make sure you're on the latest version of the 3.7 series, which is 3.7.15r2. To see that you are, when you first log into the Admin of the cart (or at the login screen) you can see the version of the cart you're currently on.
Also once you login to the Admin it will look like this:
In the above Example it showing that my Test cart is on 3.7.12r3, and the link is providing the option to update. You will want to follow the instructions closely here. If you have created a backup correctly and run into issues, this will allow you to restore quickly and efficiently then we in Support can see what went wrong and provide assistance.
Once you have Finished upgrading to 3.7.15r2 you can move on to the next step. You will want to make sure everything is in working order before doing so. So check the Admin by clicking around to different areas and making sure there are no errors. Move to the front end of your site and be a customer and go through checkout to make sure there are no issues there as well.
How to Upgrade from 3.7.15 to 3.8.2
1. Download the upgrade package here.
2. Download to your local PC. Once the download has finished, unzip the package
3. Open up your FTP client and locate the folder on your computer. Login to FTP for the server and upload them to the root directory of your store. (Learn how to FTP here.)
4. After the file upload has completed, navigate to http://yourdomainname.com/update-to-382-r1-full.php to run the database update script. This will now update your cart to the latest version.
5. Once finished you can login and see if there are any further update links at the top of the admin area home page. If there, you will want to run each of them until the links no longer appear.
Finalizing the steps after upgrading
Now that you have upgraded your cart, you will want to go into the Design area on the left hand side and choose a new Theme. The new Themes will be the ones that have a mobile picture next to them. If you didn't remove your old Skins folder from the 3.7.15r2 cart you will see those as well, and those Themes aren't Responsive.
Above I've highlighted with a red Square, the Design button and the Mobile image which represents the Responsive Template.
Now you can start exploring your new PinnacleCart and making all the Design Changes.
Links to Related Articles.
None at this time.
If you didn't get your question answered, please contact the Pinnacle Cart Support Team. To submit a ticket, go to the My Account drop-down menu at the top right of the admin area and select Support